PIP – Personal Independence Payments


Claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for the first time

PIP has no low care rate, but in many other ways it is like DLA. Check the new rules and points scores before you answer questions about your daily life and mobility. Disability Rights UK has produced a detailed guide on claiming PIP (Factsheet F60) available on its website www.disabilityrightsuk.org/personal-independence-payment-pip

To start your PIP claim, call: 0800 917 2222 (voice), textphone 0800 917 7777. If you want to register your claim in writing, not over the phone, ask for form PIP1. After registering your claim by phone or form PIP1, you will be sent form PIP2 asking about your sickness or disability needs and mobility. If you are experiencing any delay in the processing of your claim, complain to the DWP and send a copy to your MP asking them to pursue this.

If you are caring at least 35 hours a week for a sick, disabled or older person who gets either Attendance Allowance, DLA or PIP – check what benefits or other help (such as Council Tax exemption) you can get. Carer benefits are complicated, so get advice from Carers UK or your local carers’ centre.

PIP assessment from paper evidence, exemption from interview

For more information about how to get exemption from the face-to-face exam, see here.

Getting medical evidence for exemption

We have produced a leaflet you can give your GP, Psychiatrist, Nurse etc., on the rules they can quote in their support letters, see here.

News about PIP

For more info on how legal challenges are changing the PIP rules, see here.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s